An explanation of where and why to use the WCF Timeout configurations:
- SendTimeout is used to initialize the OperationTimeout, which governs the whole interaction for sending a message (including receiving a reply message in a request-reply case). This timeout also applies when sending reply messages from a CallbackContract method.
- OpenTimeout and CloseTimeout are used when opening and closing channels (when no explicit timeout value is passed).
- ReceiveTimeout is not used.
- Send, Open, and Close Timeout same as on client (for Callbacks).
- ReceiveTimeout is used by ServiceFramework layer to initialize the session-idle timeout.