1 medium red cabbage
1 apple, cored and roughly chopped
40g butter and glug of olive oil approx.
2 tsps.sea salt and few grinds of black pepper
3 bay leaves
100 ml. white wine vinegar
1. Cut the cabbage in half lengthways and remove the white core.
2. Shred it finely from top to bottom then rinse it well - let it drain.
3. Using a heavy-bottomed saucepan, large enough to accommodate the amount of cabbage, add the butter with the olive oil. As it begins to melt, throw in the cabbage and apple. Add a little water, the bayleaves and seasoning.
4. Cook - stirring almost all the time, so it doesn't stick or burn, adding a little more water if necessary - approx. 10 mins.
5. Add the vinegar, dont lean over the pan as the steam will be very sharp, and cook, stirring until all the vinegar has evaporated.
6. Sprinkle in your sugar and continue stirring, as it could caramelise and burn very quickly. Cook about another 5 mins.
Taste for seasoning - should be done and the colour a lovely dark red ..... not the icky grey you get with long cooking.